Friday, January 13, 2012

Work that's working

So I finally developed a system for chores and "jobs" as we call them that is working really well. In the past the kids had their personal chores which they do every day. Self grooming (brush hair and teeth, get dressed) cleaning their room and making the bed and something small like feeding the cats or putting the clean silverware away. Then on Saturday they would each do something extra. Like dust or vacuum. Adam would do the dishes after dinner and clean the bathroom on Saturday, but that left me doing everything else the rest of the week. Well, after the birth of my fifth baby, I decided I just could not do it any more. A few people had suggested that I have my kids help more, but I really didn't think they were capable of doing much more. But I was at the end of my rope and something had to give. So, I made a daily job chart. Well, three actually. One for each kid with a job for each day of the week Mon-Sat. At the end of the week I switch the name on the chart and each kid gets a new set of jobs for the week, so they don't get burned out on doing the same thing over and over, and so that they all learn how to do every thing. This meant teaching my 11 year old daughter to mow the lawn (which terrified her) and teaching my 7 year old boy how to clean the bathroom. Honestly I really dread that 3rd week rotation because it means I have to clean the bathroom with him because lets be honest, a 7 year old boy is neither physically nor mentally able to CLEAN a bathroom on his own. But eventually he'll learn. We've been using this system for the last 5 months and it has been fantastic. The essentials get taken care of, and I don't spend my entire existence cleaning up after everyone. Is it always done how I would do it? No. But I've learned to be OK with that. My oldest is a great organizer and old enough to do a great job, so at least I know it get done "right" every three weeks or so.
And they are happier. I know, that sounds like a lie, but they really are. The first few weeks were challenging, I'll be honest. But after everyone got used to the new schedule, it got easy. And since the schedule is posted on the fridge where every one can see it, all we have to do is check the schedule to know who has to do what. No more trying to remember who's turn is who's. And it has really helped give my son a productive channel for his energy. He has a lot less time to tease his sisters because he's busy working. And that makes us all happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment