After doing a lot of hit-and-miss with our school schedule in the beginning of December, I decided to just take a break until after the new year. The kids didn't seem to care (or notice frankly) at first. But sure enough, after a few days they started asking for school. I tried but kept getting agitated. I felt like I was being forced to do something I didn't want to do (sound familiar? That's the story of my child hood and one of the MAJOR reasons why I home educate). So, naturally, I rebelled. I found excuses for why I was too busy for a while before I realized that I'm in CONTROL. I sat them down one morning and told them that I needed a break, and school would resume after the new year. They were still expected to do chores, stick to the "token system" for screen time (TV, computer, video games) and I encouraged them to read (very little encouragement was even needed), and I gave myself permission to take a break. They knew what the plan was, and felt secure in the plan. (letting them in on what I plan to do is so helpful....duh)
I was liberated! I felt in control of my time, and my education and had no problem starting up again after the new year.
Kids are the same way. They NEED their freedom to have control over their education, and how they spend their time. I recognize that they are still children and we set realistic limits, but over all, they know that they are responsible for their own education. And they amaze me. The things they come up with when left to their own creativity far surpasses anything I could suggest. My neighbor asked me how I get them to do anything I want them to. She seemed a bit perplexed when I told her I don't "make" them do any thing. There is no need! They are more self motivated than many adults I know. And they are happy. Our kids are screaming out to exercise their God given agency, and it not only governs their moral code, but their education as well. It encompasses every aspect of their lives, and they know they have this right and they yearn to exercise it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





Beautifully put!
ReplyDelete